Friday, December 11, 2009

Cookie

I met Cookie about 3 years ago and boy did she have the baggage. I didn't know if I really could handle her friendship or not. You know some friends just demand too much. You see Cookie had just come out of a very abusive relationship and she looked at me as her salvation. But I'm no Saviour!!! Oh, yes I do try to imitate the Saviour, but to actually be the Saviour, I don't know. Well we decided to take it slow, first she needed to learn to trust again. You know once the people you love abuse you it's hard to trust again. Cookie still could function on her day to day activities, it was actual relationships which were damaged. The question lingering in my mind, my heart , my time , my being, was do I want to commit that much to one? Oh, I'm committed that much to my husband, my children, my family, but Cookie is no relation to me. She is optional. Like I said, we decided to take it slow and it has been slow, in fact even today our relationship is still not normal, but it is coming along. She is becoming more trustworthy of me and even Kevin too, ( which I know is especially difficult for her). Today she will spend time in one on one interaction for a short period of time and actually enjoy it. But then she has had enough and off she goes. This relationship is all on her time table and that's OK with me. I think one of the best times was when we had the Small Group over from church and Cookie showed up. She really surprised me by interacting with the small group and seemed to actually enjoy her short time she spent with us. But alas she again had to run! Cookie is teaching me patience, perseverance, and joy in the small accomplishments. Not everyone is as I think they should be, they each have their own baggage and I have to go along on their timetable. Even if their timetable is much slower than what I would like. Sometimes the beauty of the relationship is the time it takes getting there. You know my relationship with God is the same way and I'm forever thankful to Cookie and God for teaching me these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment